Viennese Potato Soup
Traditional Viennese Potato Soup contains soup greens (parsley, carrot, leek and turnip etc), bacon and mushrooms. It’s a deliciously hearty and substantial soup classic, a favourite in the winter, which is loved by the whole family particularly as there is a great variety of extras which can be added. By the way, for all those of you who don’t know, potatoes are called “Erdäpfeln” in Austria, or “earth apples”! Wonderfully creamy is also our Roux Soup!
- 400 g potatoes (waxy, raw, diced)
- 1 carrot (chopped into small pieces)
- 1 turnip (yellow, chopped into small pieces)
- 100 g celery (chopped into small pieces)
- 1/4 stick of leek (chopped into small pieces)
- 1 onion (chopped into small pieces)
- 50 g ham or bacon (cut into strips)
- 10 g porcini mushrooms (dried, soaked and chopped into small pieces)
- oil for frying
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- caraway (ground)
- a little sour cream
Directions for Viennese Potato Soup
- Wash and trim/peel the potatoes, soup greens, leek and onions and cut into small cubes. Cut the bacon into fine strips and soak the mushrooms in a little warm water and chop.
- Heat a little oil in a pan and sauté bacon and onion at medium heat until clear. After approx. 5 minutes pour over the vegetable stock and add the bay leaf as well as remaining seasoning.
- Add mushrooms and potatoes to the stock and leave to simmer for approx. 15 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the Viennese Potato Soup into dishes and garnish with a little sour cream.
Austrians regard waxy potatoes as those with a low starch content. They are particularly well suited for use in this soup as they keep their shape during cooking and don’t crumble.
The history of how Potato Soup and potatoes entered Austrian cuisine could be described as somewhat difficult. For a long time, potatoes were regarded as being harmful and poisonous. However, during the Napoleonic Wars when there was a food shortage, they suddenly gained considerable popularity. Today it would be hard to imagine Austrian cuisine without potatoes and they are served in many different ways.
Everything at Piccantino revolves around exceptional flavour! With the extraordinarily large selection of products, you can enjoy cooking superb dishes of all kinds.
At Piccantino you can find more than 8,000 different products from the finest herbs and spices, delicious oils, tasty beverages and condiments of all sorts, as well as the tools you need to cook and serve your dishes!
Customers in Germany and Austria have the opportunity to order fresh Austrian foods like meat, sausages or vegetables directly ordered from local farms. The produce is then carefully packed in a cooler for shipping.
Piccantino works closely with local producers to ensure the best regional quality but does not limit themselves solely to Austrian partnerships. Ever expanding, Piccantino’s range is filled with products from partners across the globe, so you can enjoy international flavours and indulge in exotic cuisines, all from the comfort of your home.
Thanks to Piccantino’s friendly customer service, over 51,00 customers have already placed orders that allowed them to get their treats, meals and snacks on the table even faster!