“Zwetschkenröster”, or Stewed Plums, are made out of chunkily sliced plums which are stewed with sugar and, in contrast to compote, without the addition of water (or only very little). The main difference to jam is that the fruits remain in large pieces. Get ready for a fruity temptation!
- 600 g plums (stones removed)
- 300 g granulated sugar
- 2 cloves
- 1 cinnamon bark
- a little lemon juice
- 1 dash of water
- brandy (optional)
Directions for Stewed Plums
- Wash and remove the stones from the plums.
- Slowly bring the plums to the boil with the sugar, cloves, cinnamon bark, lemon juice and a little water until the skin start to coil outwards.
- Remove from the heat and fill into jars which have been rinsed with hot water.
GOES WELL WITH Kaiserschmarrn – Because honestly, what would our sweet Schmarrn be without this fruity accompaniment?
If you don’t serve the Zwetschkenröster immediately, fill into jars (which have been rinsed in hot water), flambé the surface with 1 tbsp brandy and close the jar tightly. The Stewed Plums will then keep for up to 14 days in a cool place.
JUST ONE MORE THING
If you don’t like it so sweet, simply reduce the amount of sugar.
A delicious blend with the classics cinnamon, cloves and other spices that make a fruit compote perfect to spoil the family or guests.
We love it!
AUSTRIAN MOUNTAIN HERB COOPERATIVE
Watering, picking and enjoying – this is the natural cycle in your own herb garden. But why so complicated when it’s so easy? So grab it and enjoy the high-quality mountain herbs from Austria.
At a glance
- founded in 1986 in Sarleinsbach
- Members / owners of the cooperative: 92 farmers from regional cultivation
- Employees: 45
- 280 tons of herbs are grown annually
The 3 basic pillars of the brand philosophy, which remain valid until today, are defined from the beginning as:
- 100% organic
- as many herbs as possible from regional cultivation
- highest quality
Convince yourself, because organic and quality is the passion!
Let’s be honest: Is there anything finer than a freshly prepared dish that is refined with tasty herbs to a real feast for the palate?