Runner Bean Salad
“Typically, Styrian, typically good!” – best describes this vegetarian and also vegan Runner Bean Salad. When runner beans, pumpkin seed oil and seasoning get together, you are guaranteed a very special taste experience. Styrian runner beans are amongst the most popular in Austria and are particularly distinguished by their delicately creamy consistency and nutty taste. There’s certainly a little truth in the old saying, “Jedes Böhnchen gibt ein Tönchen”! (“Every little bean makes its own sound” which refers to the flatulence which can be caused from eating beans!). However, despite this, we cannot resist this salad and are therefore willing to turn a blind eye to any little sound which may occur …
- 200-250 g runner beans (soaked in water overnight and cooked)
- 1 onion (red, finely chopped or freshly grated horseradish)
- 4 tbsp pumpkin seed oil
- 8 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp caraway (ground)
- summer savoury (dried or marjoram)
Directions for Runner Bean Salad
- Soak beans in water overnight.
- Pour away the water and cook beans in unsalted water for approx. 50 minutes. Douse in cold water and drain.
- To make the marinade, peel the onions and finely chop. Mix with pumpkin seed oil, cider vinegar, salt, pepper, pinch of caraway and the dried summer savoury.
- Pour the marinade over the cooked beans and mix well. Leave to stand for a while and then serve the Runner Bean Salad.
GOES WELL WITH All meat dishes or traditional Kürbiskernbrot.
Halve the runner beans for even more taste. If the beans are whole, it is only the outsides which are covered by the dressing. If, on the other hand, they are halved, the insides of the beans will also absorb the dressing which creates an even more intense flavour.
JUST ONE MORE THING
If you don’t have much time or are really hungry, use tinned beans for a quicker version.