All you need is … are Rum Balls! These delicious little balls are always welcome with any Christmas biscuit selection, they’re easy to make and an absolute must in Austria. Chocolate, Nuts, rum and a few more ingredients are enough for our round-bottomed Christmas balls. As the name suggests, it is a dash of rum which makes these little chocolate balls so special. One thing is sure: they won’t be rolling around in your biscuit tin for long!
- 125 g butter
- 125 g icing sugar
- 350 g chocolate
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp coffee
- 5 tbsp of rum (depending on taste more)
- 250 g hazelnuts (ground)
- 100 g chocolate sprinkles
- 100 g coconut flakes
Directions for Rum Balls
- Firstly, beat butter and sugar until frothy. Melt chocolate in a bowl over hot water.
- Add cocoa, coffee, rum and hazelnuts and mix in the butter mixture. Leave to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Shape small balls out of the mixture and roll them in chocolate sprinkles or coconut flakes.
If these small yet exquisite balls laced with rum do not roll easily because they are too warm leave to cool in the fridge for 10 minutes and then try again. If you like it less nutty, use biscuit or sponge crumbs instead of hazelnuts.