Rice with Meat
Rice with Meat (“Reisfleisch”, in Austrian) could almost be described as an evergreen of Austrian cuisine. Succulent pork combined with well-seasoned rice is an all-round favourite dish as it was already popular with parents and grandparents alike. You only have to put the pot on the hob, chop, stir and season a few ingredients and this hearty, meaty rice dish is done! We all love rice (meat)!
- 400 g pork (shoulder or neck, cut into chunks)
- 2 paprika (deseeded and diced)
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 300 g rice
- 500 ml water
- oil (for frying)
- 2 tbsp paprika powder (sweet)
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- caraway (ground)
- water (for pouring over)
Directions for Rice with Meat
- Wash meat and cut into chunks. Wash, deseed and dice and paprika. Peel and finely chop onion and garlic.
- Wash rice, sieve and bring to the boil with twice the amount of water. Leave to infuse until all the water has been absorbed by the rice.
- Heat a little oil in a pot. Add meat and fry with onions and garlic and then add diced paprika. Add paprika powder and tomato puree and mix in the remaining seasoning. Pour over the water and leave to simmer for approx. 30 minutes.
- Add the cooked rice to the meat and serve.
Classic meat with rice is also a good dish for using up leftovers such as rice or meat. Another delicious meal with rice is our Naturschnitzel with Risi e Bisi.
This dish originally comes from Hungary and Serbia although the hearty and delicious speciality soon became established in Austrian cuisine. Today, countless versions of this cheap and simple dish are served all over the world. In India, for example, it is enhanced with curry. It has always been regarded as an evening meal which is good for making in advance and then serving re-heated, later on.