Naturschnitzel with Risi e Bisi
Schnitzel doesn’t always have to be breaded and this is proven by this delicious Naturschnitzel recipe – succulent veal in a creamy sauce topped with vegetable rice. Our tip for an indulgent treat! Wonderfully quick and easy to make, it’s simply waiting to be enjoyed: “Mahlzeit” as we say in Austria! One thing is for sure: it is in no way inferior to the classic Wiener Schnitzel.
- 250 g rice
- 4 veal Schnitzel
- 1 tbsp flour (to thicken)
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 4 tbsp butter
- 100 ml water
- 1 dash of double cream
- 300 g mixed vegetables
Directions for Naturschnitzel
- Place rice in a pot, add water and bring to the boil.
- Meanwhile, beat the Schnitzel with a meat mallet and score the ends. Season with salt and pepper and turn one side in flour.
- Place the floured side downwards in hot oil in a pan and sear. Turn and then cook the other side for approx. 1 minute. Remove the Schnitzel from the pan and keep in a warm place.
- Peel the onions, chop into small pieces and sauté in a little butter in a pan. Deglaze the roasting reside in the pan with water and cream, simmer and reduce and season to taste.
- Now add the Schnitzel and cook until soft on a low heat for approx. 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, steam the mixed vegetables and mix with the rice. Serve the Schnitzel with the sauce and the risi e bisi.
Anyone who thinks, as they say in Austria: “ach, nur Fleisch mit Saft ist fad“ (“Eating meat in only its juice is bland”) can enhance the sauce and add mushrooms to the roasting residue in the pan. The taste of these wonderful MUSHROOM SCHNITZEL will surprise you!