The basic dough mixture of Napkin Dumplings is very similar to the bread dumplings but there is one, very small but significant difference: as the name suggests, Napkin Dumplings are wrapped in “napkins”, or clear film, and cooked in hot water and then sliced. In contrast, bread dumplings are cooked without anything. So, time to get the dumpling mixture ready and rolling pins out!
- 200 g bread rolls or white bread (stale, cut into cubes)
- 150 ml milk
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- bunch of parsley (finely chopped)
- 2 eggs
- 1 pinch of nutmeg
Directions of Napkin Dumplings
- Firstly, chop the rolls or white bread into chunky cubes. Heat milk and soak bread cubes in this.
- Meanwhile, finely chop onion and parsley. Separate eggs and add egg yolk to the bread. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg and mix well. Whisk the egg white until stiff and carefully fold into the dumpling mixture.
- Finally, form the mixture into a roll, wrap with heatproof cling film and close the ends well.
- Place the dumplings in boiling water and cook for 25-30 minutes. Carefully remove from the cling film and cut into slices.
GOES WELL WITH All roasts and game dishes. Napkin dumplings are an ideal accompaniment to juicy, saucy dishes because they absorb the juice well and mix very well with the main course in terms of taste.
Napkin Dumplings can also be enhanced with quark – mix 80 g finely strained quark and a little butter into the dumpling mixture to give a completely different taste experience. For even more variety try also
the big brother of these dumplings: Bread Dumplings.
Everything at Piccantino revolves around exceptional flavour! With the extraordinarily large selection of products, you can enjoy cooking superb dishes of all kinds.
At Piccantino you can find more than 8,000 different products from the finest herbs and spices, delicious oils, tasty beverages and condiments of all sorts, as well as the tools you need to cook and serve your dishes!
Customers in Germany and Austria have the opportunity to order fresh Austrian foods like meat, sausages or vegetables directly ordered from local farms. The produce is then carefully packed in a cooler for shipping.
Piccantino works closely with local producers to ensure the best regional quality but does not limit themselves solely to Austrian partnerships. Ever expanding, Piccantino’s range is filled with products from partners across the globe, so you can enjoy international flavours and indulge in exotic cuisines, all from the comfort of your home.
Thanks to Piccantino’s friendly customer service, over 51,00 customers have already placed orders that allowed them to get their treats, meals and snacks on the table even faster!