Nothing beats fresh crusty bread, does it? Kürbiskernbrot, or pumpkin seed bread, in particular, is very popular with Austrians. This is because it not only tastes deliciously crispy but it also has a wonderfully aromatic flavour thanks to the pumpkin seeds. Topped with a creamy spread, it’s a favourite with young and old alike. So simple yet so good!
- 380 g wheat flour
- 120 g rye flour
- 310 ml water
- 15 g yeast
- 50 ml pumpkin seed oil
- 100 g pumpkin seeds (coarsely chopped)
- 2 tsp salt
- pumpkin seeds (for sprinkling)
Directions for Kürbiskernbrot
- Mix both flours. Mix half of the water with the yeast and a little flour to form a thick pre-ferment. Cover and leave to rest for 30 minutes.
- Mix with all the other ingredients and knead to form a smooth dough. Finally, add the pumpkin seeds and knead again. Cover and leave to rest for a further 30 minutes. Knead well and then leave to rest again for 20 minutes.
- Shape the dough into a loaf and place on a baking tray. Brush with water and sprinkle with pumpkin seeds.
- Place a pot filled with water on the bottom of the oven and bake the bread in the pre-heated oven, over the water, at 190 °C/ 375 °F for approx. 40 minutes.
Kürbiskernbrot may also be baked in a loaf tin. If baking this way, shape the dough into a loaf, depending on the size of the tin, after it has rested for the first 30 minutes and use to fill the greased and floured tin. Once the pumpkin seeds have been added leave to rest again in the tin.
Bread isn’t just bread. Not only in the way it is made, but also in its taste. If you want to bake a particularly aromatic and unmistakably tasty bread, the customer is best served with this mixture. BIO blue fenugreek plays a major role in the typical taste of this mixture.
We love it!
AUSTRIAN MOUNTAIN HERB COOPERATIVE
Watering, picking and enjoying – this is the natural cycle in your own herb garden. But why so complicated when it’s so easy? So grab it and enjoy the high-quality mountain herbs from Austria.
At a glance
- founded in 1986 in Sarleinsbach
- Members / owners of the cooperative: 92 farmers from regional cultivation
- Employees: 45
- 280 tons of herbs are grown annually
The 3 basic pillars of the brand philosophy, which remain valid until today, are defined from the beginning as:
- 100% organic
- as many herbs as possible from regional cultivation
- highest quality
Convince yourself, because organic and quality is the passion!
Let’s be honest: Is there anything finer than a freshly prepared dish that is refined with tasty herbs to a real feast for the palate?