No-one can resist sugar sweet, white kisses at Christmas! These coconut kisses, or as we would say “Kokosbusserl”, are a light Christmas temptation loved by many Austrians and are quick and easy to make. With these small yet exquisite kisses you will capture the hearts of young and old alike!
- 20 edible wafer papers
- 4 egg whites
- 240 g icing sugar
- 140 g coconut flakes
- 3/4 lemon (untreated, grated peel)
- a little flour (if required)
Directions for Kokosbusserl
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and place the wafers on this. Pre-heat the oven to 170 °C/ 350 °F.
- Mix egg white with sugar, coconut flakes and lemon peel in a bowl over hot water. Add a little flour depending on the consistency of the coconut mixture and allow to cool.
- Spoon the mixture into a piping bag and pipe a small amount of the mixture onto each wafer. Leave to stand for 10 minutes before baking.
- Bake the coconut kisses in the oven for approx. 10-15 minutes – but not for too long otherwise they will become too dark and burn!
Try your own variation of Kokosbusserl – they taste delicious, for example, if the lower side is dipped in chocolate after baking and they can also be decorated. The combination of the chocolate and coconut will make these coconut delights even more irresistible.