He is a true “snack legend”, tried and tested for decades and still popular with young and old today: The Jägerwecken, also known under the name “Mosaikbrot”! Styrian Jägerwecken is one of those dishes which not only looks really eye-catching but is also a really hearty culinary delight. The hollowed out white loaf filled with ham, cheese and vegetables is the ideal accompaniment for cold platters and snacks. Although Jägerwecken is traditionally served at Christmas and New Year, it’s a tasty treat at any time of the year.
- 1 French bread
- 2 pickled cucumbers (finely chopped)
- 150 g ham (finely chopped)
- 100 g cheese (finely chopped)
- 100 g carrots and peas (cooked and finely chopped)
- 250 g cream cheese
- a little mayonnaise
- a little mustard
Directions for Jägerwecken
- Cut one end off the bread and remove all the bread from the centre so it is hollow. You can also halve the bread and then hollow out both halves.
- Chop the pickled cucumbers, ham, cheese and vegetables into small pieces and mix in a bowl together with the cream cheese, mayonnaise and mustard.
- Chop some of the bread which was scooped out of the loaf and fold into the mixture and season with salt and pepper.
- Fill the loaf with the mixture and then wrap in foil and place in the fridge.
- Cut into slices and serve.
This Styrian loaf is good for making in advance and is a real culinary delight particularly if it’s been kept in the fridge for a while.