The much-loved Husarenkrapfen are shortcrust biscuits with a jam filling. They are quick and easy to make and are particularly delicious and fruity, too!
- 270 g flour (fine/smooth)
- 50 g hazelnuts (ground)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 pack of vanilla sugar
- 100 g icing sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 220 g butter
- 1 dash of rum
- 1/2 lemon (juice)
- 3 egg yolks
- jam (red)
Directions for Husarenkrapfen
- Firstly, mix flour, hazelnuts and baking powder in a bowl. Beat vanilla sugar, icing sugar, salt and butter until frothy. Stir in rum and lemon juice and gradually add the egg yolk. Add everything to the flour mixture and knead to form a smooth dough.
- Shape the dough into a ball, wrap in cling film and cool in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and pre-heat the oven to 170°C/ 350 °F.
- Divide the dough into 3 sections and shape each into a roll. Cut into equal sized pieces and roll into balls. Use the end of a wooden spoon to press an indentation into each biscuit and place on a baking tray.
- Stir the jam until smooth and use to fill the small holes on the top and then bake for approx. 15 minutes.
Husarenkrapferl are wonderfully versatile – in their dough as well as the filling. Add poppyseed or almonds to the mixture and fill with different jams or even caramel sauce. You will be deliciously rewarded!
JUST ONE MORE THING
Wonderful fruity filled are also our Linzer Cookies.
This popular biscuit classic comprises of two biscuits sandwiched together with a red fruit filling and three smalls holes or “eyes” – filled with jam – on the top.