Who says that doughnuts have to be round? This light and fluffy Funnel Cake proves the opposite – a wonderfully crispy dessert which is fried golden brown. Best eaten when fresh! Put it out on a plate, get ready and enjoy! Are you still thinking about Funnel Cake or enjoying it already?
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 tbsp white wine
- a little salt
- flour (depending on consistency)
- oil (for frying)
- icing sugar (for sprinkling)
Directions for Funnel Cake
- Whisk egg yolks with salt. Gradually add enough flour to form a smooth dough. The amount of flour will depend on the amount of liquid. Place the mixture in the fridge for a few hours.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface so it has the thickness of the back of a knife and into one to two-centimetre-wide strips. Intertwine the strips loosely with one another and fry in hot oil turning whilst cooking. Remove from the oil and pat dry with kitchen paper.
- Serve sprinkled with icing sugar.
GOES WELL WITH Compote or apple puree.
Do not add too much flour at the beginning but gradually work it into the mixture. This will make it easier to control the consistency of the dough.