Cream slices – a delicious light and airy vanilla creme encased by two thin and delicately crispy layers of flaky pastry – were enjoyed already by Franz Joseph I of Austria and his wife Sissi. The Cremeschnitte – A deliciously sweet Austrian dessert!
- 1 pack of puff pastry
- 1 l milk
- 100 g cornflour
- 200 g icing sugar
- 25 g icing sugar with 1 vanilla pod
- 3 eggs
Directions for Cremeschnitte
- Roll out the pastry and prick with a fork. Cut into two equal-sized columns and bake at 180 °C/ 350 °F for approx. 8-10 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- Add milk to cornflour and 2 tbsp icing sugar and vanilla sugar to the milk. Finally, mix the mixtures.
- Separate the eggs. Bring the milk-sugar-mixture to boil. Slowly add the cornflour-mixture to milk und simmer until creme is thick.
- Whisk egg whites with the rest of the icing sugar until thick. Stir in the egg yolks in the mixture and fold into warm creme. Finally, allow the creme to cool down.
- Evenly spoon over the pastry and allow the creme to cool.
- Before you serve, cut the remaining pastry in slices, but it on the top and sprinkle with sugar.
Leave it over night. Cream slices also tastes good if topped with an additional layer of cream over the vanilla cream – this makes them even creamier!
JUST ONE MORE THING
Wonderful creamy are also our traditional Esterházyschnitten.
Everything at Piccantino revolves around exceptional flavour! With the extraordinarily large selection of products, you can enjoy cooking superb dishes of all kinds.
At Piccantino you can find more than 8,000 different products from the finest herbs and spices, delicious oils, tasty beverages and condiments of all sorts, as well as the tools you need to cook and serve your dishes!
Customers in Germany and Austria have the opportunity to order fresh Austrian foods like meat, sausages or vegetables directly ordered from local farms. The produce is then carefully packed in a cooler for shipping.
Piccantino works closely with local producers to ensure the best regional quality but does not limit themselves solely to Austrian partnerships. Ever expanding, Piccantino’s range is filled with products from partners across the globe, so you can enjoy international flavours and indulge in exotic cuisines, all from the comfort of your home.
Thanks to Piccantino’s friendly customer service, over 51,00 customers have already placed orders that allowed them to get their treats, meals and snacks on the table even faster!