Creamy Pumpkin Soup
Simply healthy and delicious! It’s hard to find a better Austrian starter than a steaming bowl of gleaming orange, Creamy Pumpkin Soup, particularly when it’s cold and wet outside. The slightly sweet, pumpkin soup gets its authentic and unique taste from the addition of a little Styrian pumpkin seed oil. Are you enjoying it already?
- 1/2 kg pumpkin (e.g. Hokkaido)
- 1 onion
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- a little oil (for frying)
- 600 ml vegetable or chicken stock
- a pinch of nutmeg
- ginger (optional)
- 150 ml heavy cream (optional)
- 3-4 tbsp pumpkin seed oil (to garnish)
- pumpkin seeds (roasted, for garnishing)
Directions for Creamy Pumpkin Soup
- First, wash pumpkin and then break into pieces and remove the seeds. Chop pumpkin flesh into small cubes.
- Finely chop the onions and garlic and sauté in a little oil. Add the pumpkin cubes, briefly fry and then add the soup. Season with salt, pepper, nutmeg and a little ginger (optional) and leave to simmer.
- Once the pumpkin is tender, puree the soup in a mixer with the double cream and season to taste.
- Serve in bowls or a hollowed-out pumpkin, drizzle with a little pumpkin seed oil and sprinkle with roasted pumpkin seeds.
May also be made without the cream. Creamy Pumpkin Soup also tastes delicious and has a wonderfully creamy consistency even without cream. If the soup is too thick, simply add a little water or stock.
JUST ONE MORE THING
Add chopped dill and chives for a different yet equally exquisite taste experience!
You want more? Try also our Creamy Garlic Soup with Croûtons.