As the name suggests, the highlight of these sweet dumplings is their filling – they are distinguished by a delicious chestnut mousse which is combined with nuts. Exquisite, brown sweet chestnuts covered in a fluffy potato dough are a real treat for anyone with a sweet tooth. One thing is for sure: each bite of our fluffy Chestnut Dumplings are a delight!
For the dough:
- 250 g potatoes (floury, cooked and mashed)
- 100 g flour (coarse ground)
- 50 g semolina
- 1 egg yolk
- 25 g butter (soft)
- 1 tbsp corn flour
- 1 pinch of nutmeg (freshly grated)
- 1 pinch of salt
- flour (for work surface)
For the chestnut mix:
- 400 g chestnuts (or 250 g ready-made chestnut puree)
- 80 g icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla sugar
- dash of rum
- 100 g almonds (grated)
- 3 tbsp butter
- chocolate sauce
Directions for Chestnut Dumplings
- Peel, wash and quarter potatoes and cook until soft in salted water. Leave to cool and then mash and knead with the remaining dough ingredients to form a firm dough. Shape into a roll.
- Cut a cross into the chestnuts, cover with water in a pot and cook until soft. Peel and strain the chestnut puree with a strainer/puree sieve.
- Mix the chestnut mixture with icing sugar, vanilla sugar and rum and leave to stand in a cool place.
- Roll out the potato dough so it is approx. 4 mm thick and cut out round slices with a approx. 7 cm diameter.
- Shape 16 small balls out of the chestnut mixture and place one on each dough slice. Shape into dumplings.
- Bring a pot of salted water to the boil. Place the dumplings in the water and simmer on a low heat, with the lid on, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fry the grated almonds in hot butter.
- Squeeze the remaining chestnut mixture through a grater and drizzle the chocolate sauce over warm plates. Remove the dumplings from the water, allow any water to drain off and toss in the almonds.
- Finally, place the dumplings on the chocolate sauce and spoon over the remaining chestnut puree.
Chestnut Dumplings are also suitable for freezing and can be frozen for longer periods. Simply shape the dumplings and freeze raw. To eat later on, remove from the freezer, cook in hot water for approx. 5 minutes and toss in the nuts. That’s it! This delectable dessert is ready!