Austrians call the spiced-up version of the classic “Erdäpfelgröstl” (Potato Gröstl) which uses black pudding “Blunzengröstl”. Easy to make and deliciously flavoursome, blacking pudding Gröstl combines sliced potatoes with black pudding to create a wonderfully hearty and crispy pan-fried dish.
- 800 g potatoes (waxy, boiled and sliced)
- 2 onions (sliced into rings)
- 4 black puddings (sliced)
- flour (optional for turning the black pudding slices)
Directions for Blunzengröstl
- Boil, peel and slice potatoes and fry in hot oil. Turn and put aside.
- Peel onions and slice finely into rings and fry in the same pan.
- Remove the skin from the black puddings and slice into 1 cm thick slices. Add to the onions and fry briefly on both sides.
- Mix with the potatoes, fry again and, last but not least, season with salt, pepper and fresh marjoram.
For extra crispy Gröstl, coat the black pudding slices in flour before frying.