The classic Beugel (a crescent-shaped pastry) is a little like a croissant although not quite as fluffy and light and with (or also without) a delicious filling. Although a real treat even without a filling, many prefer it with a nut or poppyseed filling.
For the Beugel dough:
- 3 eggs
- 1 pinch of salt
- 50 g granulated sugar
- a little vanilla sugar
- 1/2 lemon (untreated, grated peel)
- 1/2 yeast
- 100 ml milk (cold)
- 150 g butter (cut into pieces)
- 500 g flour
Directions for Beugel
- Mix eggs with salt, sugar, vanilla sugar and grated lemon peel. Add yeast and 2/3 milk and mix well. Cut cold butter into pieces and add. Finally, stir in the flour and knead to form a firm dough.
- If necessary, add the remaining milk and knead for a further 5 minutes until it no longer sticks to the surface.
- On a floured surface, shape the dough into a ball and cover with cling film and leave to stand for approx. 15 minutes.
- Shape small balls out of the dough using your hands and roll each one out on a floured surface with a rolling pin.
- Add the filling, firmly press the dough around the filling, roll and shape into a crescent shape.
- Brush with beaten egg and bake at 175 °C/ 350 °F for approx. 15 minutes.
These traditional pastries taste delicious even without a filling although if you add a delectable filling, they are that bit better!
For the nut filling:
- 200 g nuts (hazelnuts or walnuts, grated)
- 100 g breadcrumbs
- 100 g granulated sugar
- 1 pack of vanilla sugar
- 200 ml milk
- 1 tbsp apricot jam
- 1 dash of rum
- Mix grated nuts, breadcrumbs, granulated sugar, vanilla sugar and cinnamon with a whisk.
- Add milk, apricot jam and rum and mix well. If the filling is too soft, add a little milk.
- Divide the dough into approx. 50 g pieces and shape into small balls using your hands. On a floured surface, roll flat, oval shapes, roughly the size of your hand.
- Fill the pastry with the filling, press dough firmly around the filling, shape and bake as above.
For the poppyseed filling:
- 250 ml water (possibly more)
- 150 g icing sugar (depending on taste)
- 1-2 tbsp honey
- 500 g poppyseeds
- 1 dash of rum
- 2 pack of vanilla sugar
- 1-2 tbsp breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp cocoa
- Heat water, sugar and honey until sugar is fully dissolved. Mix poppyseeds, rum, vanilla sugar, breadcrumbs and cocoa with the liquid. Add a little water, if necessary, to ensure the filling is nice and creamy.
- Brush the filling onto the dough, roll up, prick with a fork and brush with milk. Leave to stand for 30 minutes before baking.
JUST ONE MORE THING
If you want a sweet snack for your coffee break or a sweet temptation to go taste also our fluffy Topfengolatsche!