Beef Broth with Noodles
The ultimate all-round dish which (almost) everyone likes – noodles! In Austria, classic vermicelli is a favourite soup extra. They spice up our traditional beef broth and are extra good when home-made. It is, of course, easy to get the ready-made version but, believe us, home-made is always best! Taste it – our traditional Beef Broth with Noodles!
For the beef broth:
- 500 g meat for making a broth (beef, diced)
- 1 onion (halve)
- beef bone (according to taste)
- 1 bunch soup greens (a little parsley, carrot, leek, turnip, etc.)
- 3 egg whites
- 2,25 l water
- chives or parsley (to garnish)
For the noodles:
- 400 g flour (slightly more coarse ground)
- 2 eggs (if using only yolks, use 4 eggs)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- approx. 100-125 ml water
Directions for Beef Broth with Noodles
- Wash meat, pat dry, dice and place in 2 litres of cold water.
- Halve onion and fry in a pan without oil on the cut side.
- Wash the beef bone and soup greens in cold water and add to the meat together with the browned onions. Bring the water to the boil and simmer for approx. 2 hours.
- Allow the soup to cool and spoon off any excess fat.
- Beat the egg white with cold water, slowly stir into the soup and leave to simmer until clear.
- Strain the soup through a tea towel and season with salt.
- Garnish with chopped chives or parsley and serve as a clear soup or with one of the following Viennese soup extras.
- For the noodles, mix all the ingredients together and knead into a smooth, flexible dough. Shape into small balls. Cover with a tea towel and leave to stand for 30 minutes.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough as thinly as possible on a well-floured surface and leave to dry out for 10-15 minutes.
- Cut the dough into thin vermicelli, place into boiling salted water and cook for approx. 5 minutes. Drain off the water and plunge in cold water.
You can also change the shape of the dough – thin vermicelli, ribbon noodles, tagliatelle, square-shaped, lasagne sheets etc are all possible. If you would like the noodles to have a little more flavour, add finely chopped herbs, spinach, tomato puree or garlic to the dough.
JUST ONE MORE THING
What would a soup be without something extra added to it? That’s why we have even more of the most classic Austrian soup extras for you: Liver Dumplings, Semolina Dumplings, Frittaten and Kaiserschöberl.
In the Habsburger royal household, the custom of soup eating dates back to the 16th century. The love of beef broth was upheld in the Habsburg family and Empress Maria Theresia liked to eat this as did her grandson Emperor Franz II. Since the Middle Ages beef broth has also been very popular amongst commoners. In farming circles, in particular, filling soups made out of simple ingredients were served several times a day and the fortifying beef broth was saved for holidays and special occasions. As no-one likes to eat the “same old soup”, people started to be creative and added various extras which meant this soup could be eaten almost every day without getting bored. True to the motto, “365 days in the year – 365 times beef broth!”
Everything at Piccantino revolves around exceptional flavour! With the extraordinarily large selection of products, you can enjoy cooking superb dishes of all kinds.
At Piccantino you can find more than 8,000 different products from the finest herbs and spices, delicious oils, tasty beverages and condiments of all sorts, as well as the tools you need to cook and serve your dishes!
Customers in Germany and Austria have the opportunity to order fresh Austrian foods like meat, sausages or vegetables directly ordered from local farms. The produce is then carefully packed in a cooler for shipping.
Piccantino works closely with local producers to ensure the best regional quality but does not limit themselves solely to Austrian partnerships. Ever expanding, Piccantino’s range is filled with products from partners across the globe, so you can enjoy international flavours and indulge in exotic cuisines, all from the comfort of your home.
Thanks to Piccantino’s friendly customer service, over 51,00 customers have already placed orders that allowed them to get their treats, meals and snacks on the table even faster!