Also known as a “Strammer Max”, a Bauerntoast is a farmhouse bread roll classically topped with ham and cheese, often also with fresh vegetables such as onion, pepper, and tomatoes as well as a fried egg. The Bauerntoast is a rustic snack which tastes delicious despite its great simplicity.
- 2 slices of farmer’s bread (buttered or fried in butter)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 onion (red, sliced)
- 1 pepper (green, sliced)
- 1 tomato (sliced)
- 2 slices pressed ham
- 4 tbsp oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 slices cheese
- chives (finely chopped)
Directions for Bauerntoast
- Either butter the bread slices or fry in butter.
- Peel onions, wash pepper and tomato and thinly slice.
- Fry ham on both sides in a little oil, place on the bread and top with cheese.
- Sauté the onion and pepper in the frying residue and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with cheese and top with the tomato slices.
- Fry the eggs in a little oil and then top the bread with the eggs. Season to taste and garnish with chives.
GOES WELL WITH A green, leaf salad or Cucumber Salad.
This hearty snack also tastes great with a cheesy topping – simply place the cheese over the topping and grill briefly.