The classic farmhouse bread (Bauernbrot) should be soft inside with a crisp and crunchy crust. Who doesn’t love the smell of freshly baked bread wafting through their kitchen?
It creates such a cosy and homely atmosphere and then tastes so good and, and, and … it’s simply delicious! To slice a loaf of your own home-baked bread is a very special experience that everyone should try. Once you’ve taken a bite of our Austrian farmhouse bread, you’ll never want to try another! It’s particularly tasty, moist and just can’t be beaten on taste!
- 125 g leaven/fermenting agent
- 500 ml water (luke-warm)
- 400 g whole rye flour
For the main dough:
- 800 g whole rye flour
- 400 g whole wheat flour
- 3 heaped tsp salt
- 2 tbsp caraway (whole)
- 1 tbsp coriander (whole)
- 1 tsp aniseed (whole)
- 1 tsp fennel (whole)
- 1/2 tsp cardamom (ground)
- 100 g caraway (whole)
- 750 ml water (luke-warm)
- flour (for dusting worktop)
Directions for Bauernbrot
- Dissolve the leaven in the luke-warm water and stir in the freshly ground whole rye flour. Now, cover and leave to ferment in the oven at 25-28 °C/ 77-82 °F for approx. 12 hours.
- Mix the freshly ground whole rye and whole wheat flour in a bowl with the seasoning. Make a hollow in the centre of the flour and add the starter dough to this. Furthermore mix everything together. Knead thoroughly whilst adding the luke-warm water – for at least 15 minutes – until the dough no longer sticks to the sides of the bowl.
- Sprinkle the dough with a little flour, cover and leave to stand in a warm place for 2 hours. Once the dough has increased in size by about half and small cracks appear in the surface, knead well again on a floured surface.
- Now form a ball shape and prick the surface several times or cut a cross in the middle. After that, cover and leave to stand again for approx. 45-50 minutes.
- Tip the bread onto a floured baking tray and then place in a baking tin which has been sprayed with water. Firstly, bake it in the oven on the highest heat for 10 minutes. After that, for 45 minutes at 180-200 °C/ 350-400 °F.
- Finally, remove the Bauernbrot, immediately spray with cold water and cool on a cooling rack.
GOES WELL WITH All types of spreads, for example Verhackertes or the popular Egg Spread. Can also be topped with choice of toppings and grilled in the oven – for a hearty, delicious and satisfying snack.
The dough is also perfect for making small bread rolls – simply shape and bake on a greased baking tray.
HISTORY BOX OF BAUERNBROT
Austrians have always been choosy not only with their white breads. Bread, in particular, has been the most important food since the 11th century and there were bread tables selling bread at the Hoher Markt (Vienna’s oldest square) right up to the 15th century. Whilst the aristocracy and well-off people preferred bread rolls, the “normal people” ate breads made out of coarser flour. Bran, barley and rye bread was for the poorer people and farmers. The wide choice of dark breads and rolls provides many different taste experiences and makes the products delicacies in their own right! Today they are, in fact, no longer only seen as accompaniments but are often served on their own with delicious toppings.
100 years ago, enamel bread bins were the preferred method for keeping bread fresh for a long time and preserving its wonderful flavours. This enamel bread bin has a classic round shape and an easily removable lid, thanks to the brass handle.
All types of bread, whether they are homemade or bought, are well looked after in this bread bin. The bin is well-ventilated thanks to the ventilation holes in the lid and at the same time the glass surface of the enamel bread bin prevents bacteria growth which stops mould from forming, ensuring that all the wonderful flavours of the bread are preserved.
In addition, enamel bread bins can be cleaned easily and not only ensure that you can enjoy fresh bread but also provide optimum hygiene.
We love it!
THE WORLD OF RIESS
It is cut and scratch resistant, easy to clean and does not change the taste of the food prepared in it – porcelain enamel has many advantages. The RIESS family, who lived in Austria, thought the same thing almost a long time ago when they began making tableware from this easy-care material in 1922.
Handmade with LOVE…
… this thought applies not only to us when we are cooking, but also to RIESS. The RIESS-Emaille manufactory in Ybbsitz in the Lower Austrian Mostviertel is the only cookware manufacturer in Austria and meanwhile the family business is well known far beyond its borders. In addition to kitchen utensils in classic white, there are pots, strainers, bowls, cups and the like in delicate pastel colours as well as animal and flower designs – so there is something for every taste.
The various products of „RIESS-Emaille“ made it all over the world to cult lifestyle objects.