Baked Swiss Cheese
For a great vegetarian Austrian dish, try Baked Swiss Cheese. This seasoned, raw milk cheese not only tastes delicious cold but is also really diverse when heated. The classic is baked Emmental – it’s sure to make you melt!
- 400 g Emmental (whole)
- 2 egg yolks (for coating)
- 5 tbsp breadcrumbs (for coating)
- oil (for frying)
- parsley (to garnish)
- lemon slices (to garnish)
Directions for Baked Swiss Cheese
- Slice the cheese into 1 cm thick slices.
- Whisk the egg yolks. Dip the cheese slices into the egg yolk and then coat in the breadcrumbs.
- Fry the Emmental in sufficient oil until the coating is golden yellow.
Wash the parsley, pat dry and chop coarsely and use to top the lemon wedges. Serve the baked Emmental with the lemon wedges.
GOES WELL WITH Cranberry jam or compote and green salad.
JUST ONE MORE THING
Wonderful veggie are also our Baked Mushrooms. Try it, too!