Baked Rice Casserole
Anyone with a sweet tooth should take note! This sweet Baked Rice Casserole is a real treat for the taste buds. Regardless of whether it is served hot or cold, as a dessert or main dish – all it takes is rice with milk, sugar and a few spices and you have a deliciously creamy dish which is also fruity and tart with its apple filling.
- 1 l milk
- 250 g rice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tbsp cinnamon (optional, ground)
- 1/2 lemon (untreated, juice and peel)
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 apples (slightly bitter, core and seeds removed and grated)
- 3 eggs
- 70 g butter (at room temperature)
- 60 g icing sugar
Directions for Baked Rice Casserole
- Bring milk, rice, vanilla extract, cinnamon, lemon peel and salt to boil and simmer until rice is soft and creamy. Leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, peel the apples, remove the core and coarsely grate. Immediately drizzle with lemon juice so they don’t turn brown.
- Separate the eggs. Whisk the egg whites until the mixture is stiff. Beat the butter and sugar until frothy and gradually stir in the egg yolks. Next, fold the egg yolk mixture into the rice and then carefully fold in the egg whites.
- Pre-heat the oven to 160 °C/ 325 °F and grease a baking or casserole dish.
- Pour half the rice mixture into the dish and distribute the apple over this and then top with the remaining rice. Bake for 45 minutes until the top is nice and crusty.
You can be creative with this recipe and use any ingredients you like! Baked rice can, for example, be made with any fruit and enhanced with any spice or flavouring of your choice. Also tastes delicious without apples! Speaking of apples: Do you already know our Baked Apple Rings?
What can be better than the combination of pancake and apples?