With their tasty and crisp outer and juicy centre, Baked Mushrooms are, undoubtedly, one of the most popular dishes amongst the simple Austrian pub classics. The crispy coated mushrooms are a welcome culinary diversion even for real meat lovers and taste especially. Good when served with a delicious sauce or dip.
- 500 g mushrooms
- 100 g flour (for coating)
- 2 eggs (for coating)
- 100 g breadcrumbs (for coating)
- oil (for frying)
- lemon wedges (to garnish)
Directions for Baked Mushrooms
- Wash the mushrooms and cut off any stringy bits from the stem.
- To make the crumb coating, place the flour in one dish, the eggs in another and the breadcrumbs in another. Whisk the eggs well with a fork and season with salt and pepper. Coat mushrooms in flour, then the egg yolk and then in the breadcrumbs.
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan and fry the mushrooms in this until they are golden brown.
- Remove the mushrooms from the oil and pat dry, removing any excess oil with kitchen paper.
GOES WELL WITH Tatar, Chive or Garlic Sauce and lemon wedges.
Serve a colourful, mixed platter of baked veggies – besides mushrooms, you can also coat other vegetables for example courgettes / zucchini or cauliflower!
JUST ONE MORE THING
To make TATAR-SAUCE place a little chopped parsley, capers, pickle and finely chopped onion in a small bowl and mix with 4 tbsp mayonnaise and a little of the gherkin juice. The dip is done!