Baked Apple Rings
What can be better than the combination of pancake and apples? The famous Austrian Baked Apple Rings are crunchy apples with a crispy outer and are also colloquially known as “Apfelradln” (apple wheels). They are simply waiting to be freshly baked and enjoyed hot!
- 1 kg apples (seeded and cut into rings)
- 1 dash of lemon juice
- 250 g flour
- 125 ml milk
- 1 egg
- 1 pinch of salt
- 20 g icing sugar (optional)
- oil (for frying)
- icing sugar (to sprinkle)
- cinnamon (to sprinkle)
For Schilcher froth:
- 1/8 litre Schilcher(wine) (optional, Austrian rose wine)
- 2 tbsp icing sugar (optional)
- 1 egg yolk (optional)
Directions for Baked Apple Rings
- Peel apples, core and cut in approx. one-centimetre thick rings. Immediately brush with lemon juice so they don’t turn brown.
- Mix flour, milk, eggs and a pinch of salt and leave the mixture to rest for 30 minutes.
- Coat the apple slices in sugar (optional) and then coat in the batter.
- Heat plenty of oil in a pan so that the apple slices are able to float in this. Fry the apple rings on both sides until they are golden yellow and sprinkle with icing sugar and cinnamon. Serve warm.
- Beat the wine, sugar and egg yolk in a bowl over warm water until frothy. Serve with the apple and sprinkle with sugar.
If you would like a nutty flavour, the Baked Apple Rings can also be sprinkled with almonds or walnuts.
Similar but still special in a different way are our Gebackene Mäuse
Give it a try!