Apple Strudel is one of the most popular Austrian dishes. You can enjoy it as a warm or cold dessert but also as a wonderful pastry accompanying tea or coffee. The success of this sweet pastry dream with juicy filling lies in the rich ingredients: tasty apples, raisins, chopped nuts and fragrant cinnamon. To bake your very own Apple Strudel is a bit of an effort. But the result is all the more satisfying!
For the strudel pastry:
- 250 g flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 pinch salt
- approx. 100 ml water (cold)
- flour (for dusting worktops)
For the filling:
- 14 apples (cut into chunks)
- 1 dash lemon juice
- 50 g raisins
- 100 g almonds (ground)
- 1 dash rum or apple juice
- 2 tbsp butter
- 6 tbsp breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- pinch of cinnamon
- 1 egg (beaten, for glazing)
Directions for Apple Strudel
- For the strudel pastry, form a small pile out of the flour on the worktop and make a little hole in the top and add the egg, butter, salt and a little water to this. Quickly knead the ingredients to form a smooth dough and leave to stand at room temperature for about an hour.
- For the filling, peel the apples and remove the core and pips. Cut into chunks, drizzle over the lemon juice and mix with raisins and ground almonds. For a stronger taste add a dash of rum.
- Melt the butter in the pan and gently toss the breadcrumbs with the icing sugar and cinnamon.
- Cover the worktop in flour and thinly roll the pastry until you are able to pull it in all directions with your hands. This is also known as “Strudelziehen” or strudel pulling! When the pastry is sufficiently thin, brush with a little melted butter and scatter the breadcrumb mix on the lower third.
- Distribute the apple filling across two thirds of the strudel dough, fold in the sides of the strudel and roll up with the aid of a tea towel. Close well at the ends.
- Last but not least, brush the Apple Strudel with beaten egg and bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees/ 350 °F for 40-50 minutes until it reaches its famous golden-brown colour.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve warm.
If children are also eating the strudel, replace the rum with a little apple juice or surprise them with creamy curd Cheese Strudel.
The world-famous apple strudel pastry has its origins in the Habsburg Empire. The filled, baked roll is probably rooted in the Arabic and Turkish regions. The apple strudel was first mentioned in a document in 1696. Empress Maria Theresia made the sweet strudel popular among her people. The name “Strudel” probably reminds of the shape resembling a water vortex.
A mixture of Austrian beet sugar and ground cinnamon. Ideal for sweetening and seasoning desserts such as strudel, fruit salad and compote, as well as for sprinkling fruit cake, semolina porridge, rice pudding and apple slices in batter.
We love it!
AUSTRIAN MOUNTAIN HERB COOPERATIVE
Watering, picking and enjoying – this is the natural cycle in your own herb garden. But why so complicated when it’s so easy? So grab it and enjoy the high-quality mountain herbs from Austria.
At a glance
- founded in 1986 in Sarleinsbach
- Members / owners of the cooperative: 92 farmers from regional cultivation
- Employees: 45
- 280 tons of herbs are grown annually
The 3 basic pillars of the brand philosophy, which remain valid until today, are defined from the beginning as:
- 100% organic
- as many herbs as possible from regional cultivation
- highest quality
Convince yourself, because organic and quality is the passion!
Let’s be honest: Is there anything finer than a freshly prepared dish that is refined with tasty herbs to a real feast for the palate?
The unique apple strudel spice preparation from STAY SPICED ! combines classic traditional dessert enjoyment with extravagant ingredients and taste nuances. Cinnamon, sugar and vanilla form the basis for this delicious blend, as do allspice, cloves, nutmeg and finely spiced cardamom. Some ginger is responsible for the final taste highlight – it provides sweet lemony, mildly spicy and fruity warming accents.
For the preparation of the traditional apple strudel, the apple filling is simply filled with STAY SPICED ! Spice preparation seasoned – then pour the whole thing into the strudel dough and off into the oven! Enjoy the apple strudel cold or warm, with cream or vanilla sauce. Our tip: With the STAY SPICED ! Apple strudel spice preparation can also be wonderfully refined baked apples, apple pie, apple marr, pancakes or fruit salads of all kinds.
So deliciously nibble Austria! STAY SPICED!
STAY SPICED ! WITH ROLAND TRETTL
What would life be without diversity … with the same five spices? Without finely dosed taste nuances that let our taste buds dance Cha-Cha-Cha? Exactly. Roland Trettl and his STAY SPICED ! Team make the world even more spicy with the finest pure spices and spice mixtures. Come on a taste trip with STAY SPICED! and let your culinary fantasies run wild!
STAY SPICED ! stands for the perfect symbiosis of quality, taste and sustainability. You will never find E-numbers on our spice cans, because we completely dispense with flavour enhancers, glutamates, colourings and artificial flavours. Sustainability is also a very important factor in our strict quality DNA. After all, we are not interested in lip service to the environment. We take action – with sustainability, regional partnerships and added value in Austria.
Here you can find the complete STAY SPICED ! Spice rack & our recipe world: STAYSPICED.COM